Limit search to available items
Book Cover
E-book
Author British Archaeological Association. Conference (2007 : Coventry University)

Title Coventry : medieval art, architecture and archaeology in the city and its vicinity / edited by Linda Monckton and Richard K. Morris
Published London : Routledge, [2011]
©2011
Online access available from:
ProQuest Ebook Central Subscription    View Resource Record  

Copies

Description 1 online resource
Series British Archaeological Association conference transactions ; 33
British Archaeological Association conference transactions ; 33
Contents Chapter An Introduction to the Archaeology of Medieval Coventry iain soden -- chapter Recent Archaeological Work in Medieval Coventry and Future Opportunities chris patrick -- chapter The Built Environment and the Later Medieval Economy: Coventry 1200–1540 richard goddard -- chapter The Romanesque and Early Gothic Cathedral of St Mary, Coventry richard plant -- chapter The Gothic Architecture of Coventry Cathedral and Priory: Keeping Up Appearances? richard k. morris -- chapter The Redevelopment of the Cathedral Priory Site from the Dissolution to the Present Day george demidowicz -- chapter St Michael’s, Coventry: The Architectural History of a Medieval Urban Parish Church linda monckton -- chapter The Development of St Mary’s Hall, Coventry: A Short History george demidowicz -- chapter Made in Coventry? Seals from Coventry as Evidence of Local Craftmanship in the Late Middle Ages john cherry -- chapter Coventry: A Regional Centre of Glass-Painting in the 14th Century? The Glazing of Stanford on Avon Church, Northamptonshire, and the Taxonomy of English Medieval Stained Glass Studies richard marks -- chapter The Doom in Holy Trinity Church and Wall-Painting in Medieval Coventry miriam gill -- chapter John Thornton of Coventry: A Reassessment of the Role of a Late Medieval Glazier heather gilderdale scott -- chapter The Charterhouse of St Anne, Coventry julian m. luxford -- chapter A ‘bodi ful of woundis’: The 15th-Century Mural at St Anne’s Charterhouse, Coventry mellie naydenova-slade -- chapter Combe Abbey: From Cistercian Abbey to Country House -- chapter The Chantry Chapel at Guy’s CliCe, Warwick john a. a. goodall -- chapter The College of St Mary in the Newarke, Leicester john a. a. goodall -- chapter Kenilworth Abbey Barn: Its Construction and Uses jennifer s. alexander and harry sunley -- chapter Sidelights on the 14th-Century Architecture at Kenilworth Castle richard k. morris
Summary "The British Archaeological Association's 2007 conference celebrated the material culture of medieval Coventry, the fourth wealthiest English city of the later middle ages. The nineteen papers collected in this volume set out to remedy the relative neglect in modern scholarship of the city's art, architecture and archaeology, as well as to encompass recent research on monuments in the vicinity. The scene is set by two papers on archaeological excavations in the historic city centre, especially since the 1970s, and a paper investigating the relationships between Coventry's building boom and economic conditions in the city in the later middle ages. Three papers on the Cathedral Priory of St Mary bring together new insights into the Romanesque cathedral church, the monastic buildings and the post-Dissolution history of the precinct, derived mainly from the results of the Phoenix Initiative excavations (19992003). Three more papers provide new architectural histories of the spectacular former parish church of St Michael, the fine Guildhall of St Mary and the remarkable surviving west range of the Coventry Charterhouse. The high-quality monumental art of the later medieval city is represented by papers on wall-painting (featuring the recently conserved Doom in Holy Trinity church), on the little-known Crucifixion mural at the Charterhouse, and on a reassessment of the working practices of the famous master-glazier, John Thornton. Two papers on a guild seal and on the glazing at Stanford on Avon parish church consider the evidence for Coventry as a regional workshop centre for high quality metalwork and glass-painting. Beyond the city, three papers deal with the development of Combe Abbey from Cistercian monastery to country house, with the Beauchamp family's hermitage at Guy's Cliffe, and with a newly identified stonemasons' workshop in the 'barn' at Kenilworth Abbey. Two further papers concern the architectural patronage of the earls and dukes of Lancaster in the 14th century at Kenilworth Castle and in the Newarke at Leicester Castle."--Provided by publisher
Bibliography Includes bibliographical references
Notes Online resource; title from PDF title page (EBSCO, viewed August 9, 2017)
Subject Architecture, Medieval -- Congresses.
Art, Medieval -- England -- Coventry -- Congresses
Church architecture -- England -- Coventry -- Congresses
Cities and towns, Medieval -- England -- Congresses
Architecture, Medieval.
Art, Medieval.
Church architecture.
Cities and towns, Medieval.
HISTORY / Europe / Great Britain
Coventry (England) -- History -- Congresses
England -- Coventry.
England.
Genre/Form Conference papers and proceedings.
History.
Form Electronic book
Author Monckton, Linda, editor.
Morris, Richard, 1947- editor.
ISBN 1351570889
9781351570886